Sunday, September 8, 2019

Domingo

This is another step in my working on journaling as a verb. I finally added the word 'journaling' to my computer's dictionary because I still could not believe that a piece of modern technology from this decade would not comprehend the use of the word as a verb. Journaling [now I just added the upper-case word to the dictionary] has been a 'thing' for a while, right? The real substance is how we continue to journal even when it lacks the buzz of the moment? This is where I used to do my journaling when it seemed that everyone was starting a blog about themselves or something likely obtuse. It made sense because social media could only take so many paragraphs of rants and/or raves before the unfriends and unfollows come raining down like dollar bills in the champagne room (no touching!). It is a quiet Sunday morning after what appeared like a bad Mad Max in the parking lot of my local grocery store. I went on a seemingly banal trip to pick up provisions for the week when going through the parking lot motions shifted into experiencing the worst Florida drivers known to man, or woman - or anyone because we have all done seen it all if we survived our mean streets. Don't get me started on bicyclist and pedestrian safety. I know that bicycling is good for my health, but so is not being hit by a car because the driver was trying to balance her social life with her ability to go places without harming someone else. I do not feel like discussing politics right now, so I ramble briefly about minute things. That is one drawback to living alone. I do not have conversations during the day. I have mental monologues that feel like conversations - except I have a captive but consistently friendly audience. Even when I encourage myself to think from the perspective of someone else, it feels like I am projecting more than actually speculating about what they would think. Writing, however, is my favorite form of expression because I can speak freely without being cut off or interrupted. I can put down my thoughts and serve them as briefly or as lengthily as I wish. One pet peeve of mine is when someone asks me to 'keep it brief' before I am about to speak. Do I look like I am a long-winded person? I can keep it much briefer than most because I can feel the audience and I can read the room. I know that the best advice in Hollywood is to leave them asking for more. If I want to go into depth, I can write an email, memo, or letter. But I digress again. It's Sunday morning and I am practicing the craft of writing. I majored in journalism and graduated with a degree in communications. I realize that there is a lot more that I can do with regard to how I communicate. I hope that this blog is my way of taking my writing to the next level. But, first, I have a backlog of books that I have acquired but have not yet read because of being in what felt like an endless funk that lasted for years. I lost that focus and motivation. I do, however, want to bring that back now. I know that being a better writer involves being a better reader. Have a great week! I hope that you enjoyed reading this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment